- Keep moving: Study after study shows that lack of movement is a major contributor to joint pain. In whatever way feels best, make sure you’re moving all the joints of your body each day with activities like yoga, long walks, or bicycling.
- Low-impact, range of motion exercises: Throughout our lives, our joints take a beating from the normal wear and tear of daily living. By doing activities like swimming or ellipticals, we can exercise and flex the muscles without putting pressure on the joints, which lets them heal.
- Strengthen stabilizing muscles: The tendons of many muscles extend over joints and contribute to joint stability, which prevents injury. Whole-body exercises like lunges or squats work better than isolated muscle exercises to strengthen the muscles that support joints.
- Assess your footwear: Proper footwear can go a long way in maintaining and supporting our joints by helping align the body for optimized movement. Work with your healthcare team to figure out the best footwear or orthotic inserts that are right for you.
- Work on weight: While our bodies all have different set points for the amount of fat we accumulate, excess fat is a contributor to joint degradation. Working with a healthcare provider to get to your ideal body weight can go a long way in preserving and healing joints.
- Add fish or omega-3s: Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to play a supportive role in joint maintenance and health. Consider replacing a few meals of red meat a week with fish or high-protein nuts and seeds to help support your body’s omega-3 balance.
- Increase dietary antioxidants: Antioxidants can be found in colorful foods like red or yellow peppers and dark-colored berries, and promote healthy joints. They’re also heart healthy.
- Incorporate herbs and spices into your diet: Spices like turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, and garlic have all been shown to support joint health and overall comfort. Consider cooking with these spices whenever possible.
- Cut out high sugar drinks: Too much sugar in the diet may increase the tendency towards inflammation. This can damage many things, including joints. They also promote weight gain which can further stress joints.
Optimized supplement plan:
1 capsule daily or as directed by a healthcare professional
1 tablespoon mixed in warm water or a beverage of your choice at night or after exercise
1 capsule twice a day or as directed by a healthcare professional
DisclaimerView template in-app
Fullscript content philosophy
At Fullscript, we are committed to curating accurate, and reliable educational content for practitioners and patients alike. Our educational offerings cover a broad range of topics related to integrative medicine, such as supplement ingredients, diet, lifestyle, and health conditions.
Medically reviewed by expert practitioners and our internal Integrative Medical Advisory team, all Fullscript content adheres to the following guidelines:
- In order to provide unbiased and transparent education, information is based on a research review and obtained from trustworthy sources, such as peer-reviewed articles and government websites. All medical statements are linked to the original reference and all sources of information are disclosed within the article.
- Information about supplements is always based on ingredients. No specific products are mentioned or promoted within educational content.
- A strict policy against plagiarism is maintained; all our content is unique, curated by our team of writers and editors at Fullscript. Attribution to individual writers and editors is clearly stated in each article.
- Resources for patients are intended to be educational and do not replace the relationship between health practitioners and patients. In all content, we clearly recommend that readers refer back to their healthcare practitioners for all health-related questions.
- All content is updated on a regular basis to account for new research and industry trends, and the last update date is listed at the top of every article.
- Potential conflicts of interest are clearly disclosed.