Melatonin B6 Lozenge or Melatonin B6 Spray
Sleep support: 1 lozenge or 1-10 sprays up to 30 minutes before or at bedtime. Safe to use long term
Jet lag: 1 lozenge or 1-10 sprays at bedtime after darkness has fallen while traveling and/or at the new destination until adapted to the new daily pattern
Shift-work, sleep restriction, altered sleep schedule, delayed sleep phase disorder: 1 lozenge or 1-10 sprays before or at bedtime
Reset sleep-wake cycle (circadian rhythms): 1 lozenge or 1-10 sprays before or at bedtime
Melatonin B6 contains a combination of melatonin and vitamin B6 to improve the overall quality of sleep and promote natural sleep. Decreased melatonin production and sleep issues can develop with aging (1)(2) and lifestyle factors (e.g., artificial light and increased exposure to electronic screens). (3)(4) Melatonin works to help regulate the sleep-wake cycles,(2)(5) reset circadian rhythms, (2)(5) increase REM and total sleep time, (6)(7)(8)(9) and improve overall sleep quality. (5) Vitamin B6 enhances the absorption and biosynthesis of melatonin. (10)(11)
Melatonin production relies on environmental light cues, with darkness as the trigger to increase production. For best results when taking melatonin, stop all exposure to bright lights and electronic screens (e.g., computer, TV, cell phone) one hour before bed. Ensure the sleeping space is pitch black throughout the night, with no ambient light emissions.
Additional benefits of melatonin include powerful antioxidant activity for anti-inflammatory and immune protection properties. (1)(12)(13)
Melatonin B6 helps improve the overall quality of sleep, including:
- Improves age-related insomnia due to melatonin deficiency (2)
- Improves sleep quality in shift workers with altered/restricted sleep schedules (6)(7)(8)
- Increases the total amount of sleep (6)(7)(8)
- Prevents and reduces effects of jet lag (daytime fatigue, sleep disturbance)(14)
- Reduces the amount of time it takes to fall asleep (difficulty or slowly fall asleep)(5)
- Resets the body’s sleep-wake cycle (circadian rhythms)(2)(5)
Key features: promotes natural sleep, improves the quality of sleep, difficulty falling asleep, jet lag, shift work, altered or restricted sleep schedules, age-related melatonin deficiency, and age-related insomnia, regulates the sleep-wake cycle, and resets circadian rhythms.
DisclaimerView template in-app
- Karasek, M. Melatonin, Human Aging, and Age-related Disease. Experimental Gerontology. 2004;39:1723-1729.
- Garfinkel D, Laudon M, Nof D, Zisapel N. Improvement of sleep quality in elderly people by controlled-release melatonin. Lancet 1995;346(8974):541-4.
- Green, A., Cohen-Zion, M., Haim, A., Dagan, Y. Evening Light Exposure to Computer Screens Disrupts Human Sleep, Biological Rhythms, and Attention Abilities. Chronobiol Int. 2017;34(7):855-865.
- Cajochen, C., Frey, S., Anders, D., et al. Evening exposure to a light-emitting diodes (LED)-backlit computer screen affects circadian physiology and cognitive performance. J Appl Physiol. 2011;110(5):1432-8.
- van Geijlswijk IM, Korzilius HP, Smits MG. The Use of Exogenous Melatonin in Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder: a Meta-Analysis. Sleep 2010;33(12):1605-1614.
- Zee PC, Goldstein CA. Treatment of Shift Work Disorder and Jet Lag. Current Treatment Options in Neurology 2010;12(5):396-411.
- Sack, R.L., Auckley, D., Auger, R.R., et al. Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorders: Part I, Basic Principles, Shift Work and Jet Lag Disorders. An American Academy of Sleep Medicine Review. Sleep. 2007; 30(11): 1460–1483.
- Kwiatkowski F, Abrial C, Gachon F, Chevrier R, Curé H, Chollet P. Stress, Cancer and Circadian Rhythm of Melatonin. Pathol Biol (Paris). 2005;53(5):269-72.
- Lewis, Alan (1999). Melatonin and the Biological Clock. McGraw-Hill. p. 23. ISBN 0-87983-734-9.
- Tavartkiladze, A.G., Simoniia, G.V., Kolbaia, D.T., et al. Biochemical, Pharmacological and Clinical Aspects of Influencing Methioninc, Tryptophan, Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6), Ca2+ and High-Calorie Food on the Synthesis and Intensity of the Secretion of Melatonin. Georgian Med. News, 2006;132:121–3
- Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6) Influence on Endogenic Melatonin Production During the Experiment. Georgian Med. News. 2007;153:35
- Reiter RJ, Tan DX, Manchester LC, El-Sawi MR. Melatonin Reduces Oxidant Damage and Promotes Mitochondrial Respiration: Implications for Aging. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002;959:238-50.
- Ferlazzo, N., Andolina, G., Cannata, A., et al. Is Melatonin the Cornucopia of the 21st Century? Antioxidants. 2020;5;9(11):1088.
- Herxheimer A, Petrie KJ. Melatonin for the prevention and treatment of jet lag. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009, Issue 3.
Fullscript content philosophy
At Fullscript, we are committed to curating accurate, and reliable educational content for practitioners and patients alike. Our educational offerings cover a broad range of topics related to integrative medicine, such as supplement ingredients, diet, lifestyle, and health conditions.
Medically reviewed by expert practitioners and our internal Integrative Medical Advisory team, all Fullscript content adheres to the following guidelines:
- In order to provide unbiased and transparent education, information is based on a research review and obtained from trustworthy sources, such as peer-reviewed articles and government websites. All medical statements are linked to the original reference and all sources of information are disclosed within the article.
- Information about supplements is always based on ingredients. No specific products are mentioned or promoted within educational content.
- A strict policy against plagiarism is maintained; all our content is unique, curated by our team of writers and editors at Fullscript. Attribution to individual writers and editors is clearly stated in each article.
- Resources for patients are intended to be educational and do not replace the relationship between health practitioners and patients. In all content, we clearly recommend that readers refer back to their healthcare practitioners for all health-related questions.
- All content is updated on a regular basis to account for new research and industry trends, and the last update date is listed at the top of every article.
- Potential conflicts of interest are clearly disclosed.